Home Up The Cabin Ride Reports Motorcycles Cars Yamaha Parts Cross-Reference My Wife's Passion Other Hobbies Fun Times Wish List For Sale In Loving Memory


Last updated 3/8/07

The project is now completed.  The last item was making the brake line for the left front caliper, which is done.  The front brakes will now stand this thing on its nose with a slight two-finger pull.  I also mounted a mirror on the left handlebar.  Although it's not fast by modern sport bike standards, the bike is an absolute blast to ride.  I figure it weighs about 420 lbs, and that coupled with the bike being so narrow, and wide bars, makes it easy to flick around.  It's so much different than anything else I have.  I'm very pleased with the results.  I have to give a shout out to Mike's XS for helping me with parts and advice from their excellent website.  The service is excellent and prices are extremely reasonable.

It turned out pretty nice.  At some point I want to paint the tank, fenders and side covers black metal-flake with either gold or silver Yamaha stripes.  But that's going to have to wait for a while.  I figure with the original cost of the bike @ $1,400, and the parts I bought, I probably have $4000 in it, not including my labor or the powder-coating.  Haven't taken the time to add it all up.

New tires, wheel bearings and seals.  Front brakes were upgraded with 300mm Galfer rotors and four-piston Tokico calipers from a GSXR and stainless steel braided lines.

The new shocks and fork springs really stiffened things up a lot.  I also installed a new nickel-plated chain and new sprockets on it.  New tires as well.  And virtually every fastener was replaced with polished stainless steel.

I rebuilt the carbs and the petcocks and polished the float bowls and CV caps as well as the petcock housings.  The swingarm also has new bushings, sleeve and bolt.


I like the way it looks from the back.

The instrument cluster cleaned up nicely.  I stripped the paint off the switch pods and polished them.  New tapered roller bearings were installed in the steering head.  The front brake master cylinder was sourced from a Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird.  I've since mounted a mirror on the left side clutch perch, I'll update the pictures soon.

Well, there you have it.  After tearing down a perfectly good motorcycle to nearly every little nut and bolt, and spending virtually every weekend and evening for the past three months working on the thing in the garage, I finally have it back together again.  Now on to my next project, finishing the Chevelle.

Hit Counter